Call to Order
A monthly meeting of the All Saints Church Council was held on May 18, 2023 at All Saints Lutheran Church.
The meeting was presided over by Art Mory, Council President.
The meeting was called to order at 7:00pm.
A quorum was declared by Art Mory.
Opening prayer provided by Art Mory.
Voting Council Members in attendance included: Art Mory, DJ Schoneweis and Donald Scheeler, Lois Ballard-Stephenson and Ginya Anderson, Pastor Abera Hellemo. (6)
Absent Council Members: none
Staff in attendance included: Julia Bessler, Karolyn Havener, Mara Welch
Guest in attendance included: Beverly Byers.
Approval of Minutes
The monthly minutes for March 2023 and April 2023 were submitted for approval.
A motion made by DJ Schoneweis, seconded by Donald Scheeler to approve the monthly minutes for March 2023 and April 2023.
The motion carried with 6 yeas in favor and 0 nay’s against.
Youth and Family Ministries Report provided Mara McGee Welch.
- There are currently no students signed up for confirmation. (3 for next year)
- Weekly meeting/fellowship of the senior high students will begin in June.
- Will there be meetings for Junior High students?
Children’s Learning Center (CLC) Report was provided by Karolyn Havener.
- Regarding selling unused and extraneous property in the CLC.
- Beverly notes that there is no special permission needed to sell and buy needed equipment for use by CLC students.
Communications Report presented by Julia Bessler.
- Julia will begin passing out printed copies of all events (including hidden events) monthly at the council meeting.
- Scheduling of events and facilities use is to be done with Julia.
- ASLC Member photo directory (including names and contact information) printed and made available for Pastor Abera Hellemo.
- David Bridgeman with Unique Church Solutions has provided information on a Church “Growth Package” which would include the following:
- Updated photo directory.
- Social Media
- Creating an app for the church
- Sat May 27, 2023 request for funeral service for Pete Becker.
- Pastor Steve will be presiding over the service.
Financial Report was sent out by DJ on behalf of Beverly Byers.
Property report was presented by Donald Scheeler.
- Mary continues to work diligently toward finalizing the replacement of the kitchen water heater
- Boy Scout troop would like permission to fundraise and build an outdoor fellowship structure:
- Large 10-12 or Garden 5×7
- Size of project would be determined by amount raised (no known goal at this time).
- The Eagle Scout is still waiting for final approval from the BSoA and Arlington building code permit.
- Final vote for approval to be made once permission, permit and fundraising is complete.
- New leak seen by Mary in the mailroom.
- Concern if this may be from the ice machine?
- Contact servicemen to look at the ice machine?
- Currently the ice machine should be cleaning every 6 months, but there is question if regular cleaning and maintenance of the ice machine is done.
Board of Ministry Report was presented by Lois Stephenson.
Motion made by Ginya Anderson, seconded by DJ Schoneweis, to accept staff and trustee reports. The motion carried with 6 yeas in favor and 0 nays against.
Roof Repair/HVAC Ductwork –
- Keep monitoring
Pastor Abera’s Onboarding:
- Day of rest: Monday
- Set Office Hours (a day of the week) for anyone to visit with Pastor Abera.
- Make a list of areas of the building that are of utmost importance for him to be acquainted with ASAP.
- Pastor Abera’s priority will be Non-Active members.
- Will begin to meet with the staff as he sees fit.
- Needs an ASLC staff and leadership organizational chart.
- Julia will work with Pastor Abera so the knows who to contact and when.
- Update the current organizational chart
- Staff – need to put together information for Pastor Abera of what each staff member’s duties are along with general schedules (arrival, lunch, departure).
- The three daily staff members will work on delegating.
- Setting up computer in Pastor Abera’s Office.
- Forwarding pastor e-mails
- Preparing paperwork: I-9 and ID added to ADP; Fingerprinting (resend request), Safe Workplace Training
- Pastoral Care Committee
- Art will put together a group
- to include at least 1 person from the staff
- Meet with Pastor Abera at least once monthly
- Welcome events (2)
- May 21st meet and greet with light bites in the atrium with Pastor Abera.
- Formal Dinner following installation (Julia)
- Ask Pastor Abera TO-DO list: switching utilities to his name.
- NALC formal installation (Julia)
- Introducing Pastor Abera to Pastor Galvez of the Spanish Language Congregation.
- Insurance needs to be reinstated for the beginning of May 2023 so that Pastor Abera will have no gaps in health care coverage.
Motion made by DJ Schoneweis, seconded by Donald Scheeler, to reinstate Pastor Abera Hellemo’s Health Care Insurance. The motion carried with 6 yeas in favor and 0 nays against.
Event Packet (previously known as Wedding Packet)
- Have Pastor Abera review the packet and give input
- Currently on the members can request sanctified events.
- Only ASLC pastor may provide pre-marital counseling.
- Event Checklist (Julia)– to be part of the Even Packet
- Post Event Checklist of duties: Sweep/vacuum and mop the areas used, wipe down and sanitize surfaces, empty and take trash to dumpster.
- Look into a new custodial group to offer post even clean-up?
Marissa Sandoval Quinceanera – January 2024
- Julia is working with the Sandoval family.
- Requesting Pastor Pedro Portilla preside over the service with Pastor Abera, or other church representative overseeing.
- Unauthorized copies of key should not be made. Julia will issue keys.
- Everyone with keys needs to advise the proper person of their business on ASLC property:
- Lois and Julia for mission
- Donald and Julia for property
Tree Line Clean-up
- Security and Safety of Church property, call 911 for trespassing individuals
- Clean-up is currently in progress.
- Mara stated that per Arlington PD: Any personal items left behind should be discarded.
Church clean-up, organization and regular maintenance:
- The refrigerator is to be used for food items ONLY.
- Frozen items need to be placed in the deep freeze, as the refrigerator does not have a freezer.
- If supplies: cleaning chemicals, trash bags, paper towels, etc. are low or out, please advise Julia Bessler or Karolyn Havener so these items can be reordered.
- Council will work towards a formal request to clean and organize the janitorial closet and that all tools are moved to their proper storage place.
- DJ asks: Why is the “Cool Box” storage container in parking lot over handicapped spaces?
- Concerns that as our congregation grows, the handicapped spaces will be needed.
- Per Beverly Byers: the “Cool Box” contains extra chairs (that opened up space in the fellowship hall) and other miscellaneous items that need to be reviewed for usefulness.
- “Cool” Box cost ~$100/month.
- The church council will take 1 hour after service on 5/28/23 to walk through the church to assess the need for organization, cleaning and regular maintenance fo the following areas:
- Choir Room, Kitchen, Janitorial Closet, all Storage Spaces including the “Cool Box.”
- Assess and get estimated for the repair of the parking lot damage that is currently being covered by the “Cool Box.”
- Karolyn will begin seeking new bids for a cleaning crew as the current one is not cleaning the property to the minimum agreed upon standard.
- The security system techs are recommending new computers that will support the door system software for the CLC.
- Beverly Byers has technology updates budgeted for the year and notes that it should fall under the $5,000 purchase limit and should not require a council vote for approval
- Art requests a detailed estimate be presented to the council for record keeping and transparency to the congregation.
- Art recommends that moving forward there should be a policy or procedure in place for regularly updating the computer systems.
A motion was made by DJ Schoneweis, seconded by Donald Scheeler, to adjourn. The motion carried with 6 yeas in favor and 0 nay’s against.
9pm Pastor Abera Hellemo closed in prayer.
Next Meeting 06/15/2023
Secretary Date of Approval
All Saints Lutheran Church Council